Thursday, January 5, 2017

MY VISIT TO THE DIETITIAN FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!!!

Today I visited an accredited dietitian,  Dorothea Michalik, RD, Nutrition services at Palo Alto Medical Foundation, Mountain view, California. This is the first time I have taken professional advice from a dietitian. We discussed, current diet, snacking, portion size, BMI, Exercise, Water Intake, Sugar intake, Cheat foods etc.Very happy to realize that am doing the right thing with the Indian + American diet. The consultation went for 40 minutes.

I was surprised to hear that:
  • Having a glass of water immediately after meal is bad for your digestion 😵
    • Drinking liquids during your meal dilutes your naturally occurring digestive enzymes and stomach acids which make it harder to break own food. You can take small sips if the food is dry, but the preferred way is "Drink water or other liquids 20 mins before / After you consume food".
  • A 10-minute walk immediately after each meal is far more effective than exercise at other times at reducing blood sugar levels, which helps in weight loss.
  • Low-carb diet makes you more hungry.
    • Usually, I take smoothies/ fresh fruits for breakfast. It makes me full too. My second meal is Lunch around 12.30pm and dinner at 7.30pm. Most difficult part is to control my cravings at 4 pm, in between lunch and dinner. My dietitian figured out the less carbohydrate intake from breakfast and lunch makes me hungry and which leads to approach cheat foods. 
  • She solved it by introducing a post Lunch / Pre-dinner meal. It is basically converting my 3-day meal plan to 4 meals.
  • Finally, she reminded me that, it is important to eat at least 3 hours before going to bed. Which I try to do from December 2016, but didn’t follow for many years.
I will be writing a meal plan according to the information I got from my dietitian and will upload soon.

Happy Fitness,
Lena

No comments:

Post a Comment

/* ---------- START Remove Post-Labels -------- */ .blogger-labels { visibility: hidden; display: none; } /* ---------- END Remove Post-Labels ---------- */